Douglas is the seat of Coffee County in southeast Georgia and home to Coffee Regional Medical Center. Rooted in history, the city continues to grow and prosper as one of the state’s most progressive economic centers.
Established in 1854, Coffee County was named after soldier, State Legislator and Congressman General John E. Coffee. In 1858, Douglas was mapped on 50 acres of land donated by J. S. Pearson. the city takes its name from U.S. Senator Stephen A. Douglas, who lost the 1860 Presidential election to Abraham Lincoln.
Rooted in History
As the city grew, leaders took care to preserve its architectural heritage and natural resources. Douglas Downtown Historic District and the Gaskin Avenue Historic District are both listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. Douglas’s 11,000 citizens enjoy an enviable quality of life, with theater, art, high performing schools, 10 public parks, including General Coffee State Park, many recreational facilities and a strong library system. Douglas is also home to two institutions of higher education including South Georgia State College (part of the University System of Georgia), and Wiregrass Georgia Technical College.
The Douglas community is deeply committed to keeping its citizens healthy and is a proud supporter of CRMC and its programs.
For More Information
City of Douglas offers a virtual tour of the city and continually updated information for visitors and citizens. The Douglas-Coffee County Chamber of Commerce provides information on business and economic development. Check out the latest community magazine here!